Sunday, June 12, 2016

Defying Gravity!

Hickory Hollow Campground
Rockwood, Pennsylvania

We heard the Civil War was being fought in Bedford, so we decided to check it out.  Old Bedford Village, a living history site, was having its annual reenactment this weekend.




 No matter how many times we see this, the South still loses.

On the way back to the campground we sought out a local phenomenon - Gravity Hill.  Getting there was quite an adventure.  If you make a wrong turn, there is no place to turn around.  We felt pretty gullible falling for this, but when we got there we found two other couples equally as gullible.  One couple was in a small car and the other was on a motorcycle.  We all tried it out and were amazed that each vehicle seemed to roll uphill.  I thought it must be an optical illusion but one of the other people used the level app on his phone and it showed the road went uphill.  It was interesting that all three vehicles, a car, motorcycle and truck, all went up the hill at exactly 7 mph.  I would have expected the heavier vehicle would go faster than the lighter one.  Must be other forces than physics at work here.

















I didn't think anything could top Gravity Hill but as we drove along the Lincoln Highway we saw lots of nostalgia.  Too bad the road is narrow in spots, so there was not always space to pull over and take a photo.
I just hope I don't have nightmares tonight about Gravity Hill.  I can't seem to get the theme song from Twilight Zone out of my head.

2 comments:

  1. There's a place like that near Salt Lake City and I never did figure 8t out. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a place like that near Salt Lake City and I never did figure 8t out. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete